- What courses are offered online? Many of our courses are available online. To locate the online course offerings you will need to use the "Course Schedules & Catalog Search" tool. The tool has drop down menus you use to search courses offered by quarter, department and campus. Note that "Campus" dropdown menu allows you to select "E-Learning"; and click "Basic Search" to display your search results.
- How do I apply to Skagit Valley College? Interested students who wish to apply can do so online. Please note that applications will take up to 5 business days to process.
- What happens after I have applied to SVC? Approximately 24 hours after you receive notification of your admittance to Skagit Valley College, an SVC email account will be generated for you.
- How do I log in to MySVC email?
- Go to the MySVC page: http://www.skagit.edu/mysvc.
- Click on “My Gmail” at the top of the page.
- Enter your MySVC Email: Your SVC email is the first initial of your first name, your full last name, followed by the last 4 digits of your student identification number (SID). Example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enter your password.
- How do I create (or change) a password? In order to log in to MySVC email, Canvas and on-campus computers you will need to go to the MySVC webpage and use the Student Tool Box in the left corner to locate "Account Tools" and then select "Change MySVC Password". To use this link to create your password.
- Am I required to use MySVC email? Every student has an (free) official SVC email account created for them. This is the primary way that the college and your instructors will be communating with you. It is highly recommended that you check it often.
Is there an orientation for online students? Yes. All new students are required to complete the Cardinal Pre-flight Online Orientation. The Cardinal Pre-Flight Online Orientation is hosted on the SVC Canvas site. Use your username and password to your MySVC account. If you are accessing the online orientation from your phone, you may consider downloading the Canvas app. Begin the SVC Pre-Flight Orientation. Additional orientation resources, which include "WeekZero eLearning Orientation" and the survey "Is Online Learning for Me?" are available on the web page Tips for Success.
How do I know which classes are right for me? To determine which classes may be best for you, there are several areas that will be assessed and more than one way you can be placed. Here are the course placement methods.
- Can I talk to an advisor without coming to campus? Yes. There is an advisor available online and available at specific times as noted on their website. You may also try to email an online advisor if you have questions and the times available do not meet your needs. Email address: email@example.com or visit the advising website.
- How do I register for an online or hybrid course? Registration for online, hybrid and face-to-face courses all follow the same process. It can be completed in-person or online using the MySVC webpage and choose "Registration Tools". More information about necessary steps before you can register see an overview of the process.
- What are the computer specifications for online courses? This is a list of basic computer system requirements to use Canvas. It is always recommended to use the most up-to-date versions and better connections. Canvas will still run with the minimum specifications, but you may experience slower loading times. Recommended requirements.
- How do I rent or purchase a textbook for an online course? Textbooks can be rented or purchased online from the Cardinal Bookstore. First, select the term (quarter), the department and the course number. Then choose "Find Books". Cardinal Bookstore
- How do access my online classes? We use Canvas for our online classes. Canvas can be accessed from most devices with internet access using this URL: https//:skagit.instructure.com. You will use your MySVC email address and self-created password to successfully login.
- When do my online classes begin? eLearning courses begin on the first day of the quarter. Some instructors open their course early and students are encouraged to become familiar with the course layout prior to the first day of instruction. eLearing courses are not self-paced. They have scheduled start and stop dates, regular assignments and project due dates, but since the classroom is online, you can work on your class at the time and place most convenient for you. Check Vikew important dates.
- I cannot log in to Canvas or MySVC email. What do I do? If you have tried to log in three times and have been unsuccessful your account will temporarily be locked for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes without additional attemps your account will automatically be unlocked and you can again try to log in. Should you not want to wait or can't login successfully, you can change your password. Note: changing your password for Canvas will also change your MySVC email password. Use this link to change your password.
- Why am I unable to see my Canvas course? Some instructors do not make their course available to students until the first day of the term (quarter). Other instructors don't even use Canvas. You will still be able to log in to Canvas and go to "Courses" on the left navigation and then select "All courses". You should see your course listed under "Future enrollments". Detailed instruction on how to view a list of all of your courses. If you do not see your course listed under "All Courses" contact Registration. If your course is listed you may want to contact your instructor to ask how and when you will have access to the course.
- Why is a course appearing that I am not registered for? Some instructors choose to combine more than one course sections into one Canvas course shell. You will be able to see the section you are registered for if you go in to the Canvas course, then select "People" from the left navigation. Across the top of the "People" page there will be a list of class sections. If you do not see the section you are registered for contact the eLearning Office at Tel:(360) 416-7951 | submit an eLearning Request | email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I get help with Canvas? You can quickly search Canvas guides and report performance problems from anywhere within Canvas using the "Help" link located in the lower left of your screen.Canvas provides 24/7 support to students via phone or chat. For more information, see the Canvas guide. You can also contact SVC Student Online Support: Open Hours | Live Chat | Tel. 360.416.7770 | Email: email@example.com.
- How do I post to a discussion in Canvas? To post a reply to a discussion you will need to select the title of the discussion, select "Reply" and then compose your message. More detailed information on discussions.
- How do I upload a file as an Assignment submission in Canvas? To upload a file to an assignment you will select the title of the assignment, click on "Submit Assignment" in the right corner and use "Choose File" or "Browse" to loacte the file from your computer. Detailed instructions on how to upload a file.
- I am having difficulty viewing content or submitting an assignmnent or discussion on Canvas. There are several reasons you may be experiencing difficulty, however, the most common issue is related to an out dated internet browser. We recommend having two or more of the most current version of internet browsers installed on the device you will be using to complete your online coursework. View Canvas supported internet browsers and download or reinstall current versions. Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but you are still seeing the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies. Learn how to clear your cache on a Mac or a PC.
- I don't have Microsoft Office available at home. What options are available? As an SVC student you can Download Microsoft Office for free. Alternatively, you may choose to use Google Apps to create and store documents; it is free and available within your MySVC email account.
If I am an online student can I use the computer labs on campus? Yes. There are several computer labs on campus for student use. In addition to the computer labs, there are also computers available in the Norwood Cole Library. Please see the computer labs on campus and the hours and computer lab policies.
How do I find my unoffical SVC Grades? Go to the MySVC webpage and use the Student Tool Box in the left corner to locate "Account Tools" and then select "Unoffical Transcripts (grades)".
How do I find out when my registration date and time is? Go to the MySVC webpage and use the Student Tool Box in the left corner to locate "Registration Tools" and then select "View Registeration Date/Time".