What is TRiO Student Support Services?
The TRiO Student Support Services Program is a federally funded grant program that assists eligible students who want to excel in college, but may have backgrounds that make this task difficult or challenging.
What makes our program effective?
You will get to know our staff personally and get individual attention when difficulties arise because we limit the number of students we serve for just this reason.
You will find help here that is not found elsewhere on campus.
Our staff will introduce you to people and programs, on and off campus, that can help you when we are not able to.
Opportunities for excellence:
Our focus is helping you achieve academic excellence.
To be eligible to participate in TRiO Student Support Services (SSS), a student must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a US Citizen, US National (includes natives of American Samoa or Swains Island), or US Permanent Resident with a Form I-551, I-151, I-551C (Permanent Resident Card, Resident Alien Card, or Alien Registration Receipt Card), also known as a green card.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Be highly motivated with demonstrated need for support and intention to transfer to a four-year college immediately after completing Skagit Valley College degree.
- Identify as one or more of the following groups:
- First generation college student (neither parent has a four-year college degree).
- Low-income according to Federal Standards (students may be required to provide proof of income status; if under age 24 and single, income information may be required from parents).
- Have documented physical or learning disability.
Getting started is easy!
Call 416-7636 or visit L-201-B to make an appointment with a counselor.
What students say about tutoring:
"With the tutor's help, I was able to understand the material; without his help, I would have failed the course – I'm sure of it."
"I'm getting a high "B" in Math 99, and I failed it previously."
"I felt more comfortable with assignments, quiz and exam situations. With my questions answered, I didn't feel completely lost, but actually held my own in class."
What students say about our College Success Skills class:
"I have learned more about studying and learning skills than I ever imagined I would."
"I believe this is a class that not only prepares you for college but for life."
"Although I have only started in school, I feel a sense of accomplishment and an unbelievable drive to continue. Much of this drive came from my College Success Skills class."